ANTONKA: (a hamlet in southern Bohemia) see Kamenice Nad Lipou:
A small town situated in the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands between Pelhřimov and Jindřichův Hradec. Its most important site is a castle. It took part of its name from an ancient lime tree that still grows in the garden adjacent to the castle ("nad lipou" means "above a lime tree"). The tree is believed to be 700-900 years old. Kamenice nad Lipou is a birth place of the Czech 19th century composer Vítězslav Novák. A famous Jindřichův Hradec to Obrataň narrow gauge railway runs through the town.
Jewish cemetery with history and pictures: "The Jewish cemetery, a registered national landmark, was founded in 1803. The oldest tombstones date back to 19th century. According to evidence, the Jewish settlement in Kamenice nad Lipou had been there since 1603. In 1904, 163 Jews lived in Kamenice and surrounding villages. In mid-19th century, it was around 120 people and in 1930 only around 30 people, as Jews were moving to big towns. The cemetery is in an isolated area, surrounded by forests but not far from the main road. The Wetheimer family lineage is the oldest one buried on the cemetery. The gravestones are dated from 1807. There are marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones. Some of them are with carved relief decoration and have Hebrew, German or Czech inscriptions. Through the years, some stones have been stolen from the cemetery and vandalism is still the main threat. The Jewish congregation of Kamenice nad Lipou became extinct during the Nazi occupation, the Jews were transported to concentration camps. After that, the cemetery started to deteriorate. Vandals were demolishing tombstones and the stone wall so, in 1959, the cemetery was in a state of a serious devastation. Ing. Pavel Roubal from Častrov was the first person to "discover" the devastated cemetery in mid 1980s. Most of the tombstones were pushed over or broken. Together with his family, he restored the collapsing wall. He also repaired the broken tombstones and made an iron entrance gate which was designed by a famous Moravian sculptor Otmar Oliva. The Jewish community of Prague owns the cemetery and also supported some repair works financially. On 8 May 1996, a memorial to 46 victims of holocaust was exposed here by Ing. Věra Roubalová, the daughter of Pavel Roubal." [February 2009]
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 00:56|