You are here: Home Eastern Europe Croatia VIROVITICA
VIROVITICA PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Verőce [Hun], Wirowititz [Ger], Varaviza [Ital], Virovitisa, Вировитица.  45°50' N, 17°23' E, 67 mi E of Zagreb, in Slavonia region of N Croatia, near the Hungarian border. Pinkas HaKehilot, Yugoslavia (1988), p. 121: "Virovitica". [February 2009]

Jewish Communtiy Virovitica [February 2009]
Zvonimirov trg 5
33000 Virovitica
Predsjednik : Zeljko Weiss
e-mail : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

town image {February 2009]

Jewish Guide to Croatia [July 2014]

"Synagogue was built in 1863 and destroyed in 1942. Jewish Community was established in 19th century and still exists. Jewish Population: 1925/26-643; 1931- 342; 1937/38-160; 1947-31; 1994-16." See: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel: A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1992. (Page 243)

New Jewish Cemetery: Cemetery was established in 1870 and exists today with a Ceremonial Hall and 181 monument. Monuments from the old cemetery used 1830-1870 were moved to this cemetery, a historical landmark. Source: Srdjan Matic, MD, 40 West 95th Street, Apt. 1-B, New York, NY 10025. (212) 222-7783. [1999]

The site located outside town at ulica Ericha Shlomovica 1, the new cemetery was established in 1870. With 181 monuments and a seriously deteriorated cemetery chapel. the oldest tomb (October 26, 1872) is that of Moritz Wilchek . Inscriptions are German, Hungarian, Hebrew, and Croatian. The landmarked cemetery also has monuments transferred from the old cemetery located in the neighboring village of Antunovac. The cemetery used from 1830 to 1870 has an imposing stone block at the entrance with a Gothic lettered inscription in German and Hebrew urging care of the tombs. Many monuments have been damaged or knocked down. Several dozen stones are missing. Serious fighting in the area in 1991-92 left bullet scar on all of the stones. Some slabs that have been movedhave been opened; on some , traces of pickaxes and hammers are ev ident. A significant part of the plot (between the cemetery chapel and the first row of tombs) is used for agricultural purposes by an elderly couple who live in the chapel and serve as cemetery caretakers. Behind the chapel, with a few tombs, seems to be the children's section. Scheduled restoration of the cemetery means recently cleared vegetation making all monuments accessible.  [January 2009]

Last Updated on Thursday, 03 July 2014 19:21
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution