Alternate names: Vinkovcze [Hun], Winkowitz [Ger], Vinkovce. 45°17' N, 18°48' E,
City of Vinkovci
"Synagogue was built in 1923 and destroyed in 1941. Jewish Community was established in 19th century and closed in 1941. Jewish Population: 1925/26-995; 1931-820; 1937/38-610; 1947-750; 1994-6." See: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel: A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1992. (Page 244) 
Cemetery was established in 1870 and exists today. [Land Registry: Folder No: 998; Plot No.: 2375 & 2294] Source: Srdjan Matic, MD, 40 West 95th Street, Apt. 1-B, New York, NY 10025. (212) 222-7783.
The large Jewish cemetery established in 1870 within a complex with cemeteries of other religions is totally overgrown though the other cemeteries are very well maintained. Only the foundation of the cemetery chapel remains. [January 2009]
When the armed conflict begun in the 1990s, Serbian bombs destroyed some of the most important Jewish graveyards (Vinkovci) and synagogues (Dubrovnik) of the past, showing Serbia's complete disrespect for sacred places like using Sarajevo's Jewish cemetery for a Serbian artillery location that finally forced the Jews to leave after 500 years of living in Sarajevo. They also destroyed the 19th century library. [February 2009]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 17 January 2010 23:51|