KRIZEVCI Print

Križevci, Karađićevo, Karadžićevo, Križevci Vinkovački, 45°20' N 18°41' E, 133.8 miles ESE of Zagreb.

Križevci Municipal Museum: The exhibition area of the Museum houses a Torah from the Križevci synagogue donated by the Fišer family , dating from 1907. Dimensions: about 55 cm.protected by a dark green plush cover with the names of the donors embroidered in gold. The Museum acquired two Torahs that used to belong to the Križevci synagogue. [February 2009]

town image {February 2009]

Synagogue was built in 1894 by Bernard Hoenigsberg and Julius Deutsch, abandoned in 1941 and confiscated in 1949 but still exists as a radio station. The Jewish Community, established in the 19th century, existed until 1941. Jewish Population: 1925/26- 210; 1930-181; 1931-146; 1937/38- 200; 1941- 129; 1947-9; 1994-0. See Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel: A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1992. (Page 244)

The Neo-Classical synagogue built in 1895 by Bernard Hönigsberg and Julius Deutsch had a tripartite facade in pointed brickwork and rough plastering with a raised, semi-circular central section topped by the Ten Commandments and enclosing a rose window. Decorative elements included corner finials with the Star of David, arched windows, and a balustrade on the roof. Abandoned in 1941 and nationalized in 1949, the building was converted into a youth center in 1956 and decorative elements removed. The building currently houses cultural offices and, as of the mid-1990s, a radio station. [January 2009]

  • Old Cemetery: Established in 1840 and nationalized in 1958, the landmarked site exists with 70 monuments. The original registry book of the Krizevci Chevra Kadisha (burial society) from 1868 is kept in the archives of the Jewish Community in Zagreb and contains a short history of the society and of the two cemeteries, statutes, plans of both cemeteries and list of buried persons. [Land Registry: Folder No: 5699 Plot No.: 11963 & 11964] Source: Srdjan Matic, MD, 40 West 95th Street, Apt. 1-B, New York, NY 10025. (212) 222-7783. [2000]
  • Central Town Cemetery, Jewish Section: Established in 1899, the site surrounded by a high wall exists with 100 monuments with  inscriptions in German, Hebrew, and Croatian and a memorial to fallen Jews of WWI.  No ceremonial hall exists, but monumental arcades with tombs of prominent members of the Jewish community include five family mausoleums adjacent to one another with burials dating from 1920-38. Despite general good maintenance, the entire cemetery is in serious decay. The original registry book of the Krizevci Chevra Kadisha is kept in the archives of the Zagreb Jewish community.  [January 2009]
Last Updated on Sunday, 17 January 2010 21:42