You are here: Home Eastern Europe Croatia DOLNY MIHOLJAC
DOLNY MIHOLJAC PDF Print E-mail
Soon after liberation from Ottoman rule in 18th Century, the area around Donji Miholjac was given to Baron Hilleprand von Prandau, who administered the area from his castle in Valpovo. He died in 1831. His estate was divided into two equal parts among his two sons. Gustav got southern part (Valpovo) that was divided again after his death in 1886. His elder daughter Marijana got Valpovo estate while Stefanija Hilleprand von Prandau got Donji Miholjac given earlier to son Karlo (northern part around Donji Miholjac with two nearby castles). The older son of Baron Josip Ignac, Karlo, was only 24 when his father died; therefore, Maria Ana Countess Pejacevich (widow of Baron Josip Ignac), built a castle for him in Donji Miholjac in 1818 in late-Baroque style. After death of Karlo Donji, Miholjac was reunited with Valpovo. [January 2009]

See: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel: A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1992. (Page 244)

Last Updated on Sunday, 17 January 2010 21:04
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution