Alternate names: Cernik [Croa]. 45°17' N, 17°23' E, iIn S Slavonia, 66 miles WSW of Osijek (Eszek), just N of Nova Gradiška.
Cemetery: Established in the 18th century, the cemetery still exists today. Synagogue was built in 1780 and burned in 1917. The Jewish community belonged to the J.C. in nearby Nova Gradiska. Source: Srdjan Matic, MD, 40 West 95th Street, Apt. 1-B, New York, NY 10025. (212) 222-7783. Jewish Population: 1931- 29; 1947-0; 1994-0. See: Gruber, Ruth Ellen. Jewish Heritage Travel: A Guide to East-Central Europe. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1992. (Page 244)
An 18th century Jewish cemetery in Nova Gradiska reported by the municipality and the local museum not to exist and for which they have no information contradicts information donated that the 18th century cemetery with 50-70 monuments exists and is listed as a historic landmark. Possibly, the cemetery was renovated in 1990, damaged by war in 1992 and renovated again in 1994. Jews from Nova Gradiska also used this Jewish cemetery, inaccessible due to overgrown vegetation and a huge pile of timber blocking the gate. Partly fenced, a ruined cemetery chapel exists. one mausoleum but inaccessible. [January 2009]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 17 January 2010 20:53|