You are here: Home British Isles Channel Islands WESTMONT JEWISH CEMETERY, Jersey:

Situated at Westmont Road, St Helier, Jersey JE3. The cemetery is also known as the Tower Road Cemetery.

This is the older of the two cemeteries on the island of Jersey. The Jersey Jewish Community purchased the first section of this cemetery, which was in the Westmont Quarry, next to the "Strangers' Cemetery" (at the top of St John's Road), in 1836 and the first burial was in 1836. A later section was acquired (first burial 1888), next to the Mont à l'Abbé New Cemetery, Tower Road, and is still active. Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK

The cemetery was not desecrated by the Germans during their occcupation during World War II.

Many of the oldest tombstones in the rear portion of the long narrow site [of the earlier section of the cemetery] are no longer legible (earliest legible 1849). [The cemetery] was enlarged towards the gate in 1873; the first burial in the new section 1888. A single row of graves face each other into a wide central gravelled path. The cemetery is enclosed  withi high coursed rubble stones. Source: Jewish Heritage in England by Sharman Kadish [2006]

There are some photographs of the cemetery at

Access during weekdays only: There is a locked gate accessible only via the State Ordnance Yard on Westmont Road, where the keys are kept.

The JewishGen All-UK Database includes 53 records relationg to this cemetery (as well as 64 records in respect of the Strangers' Cemetery). Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK [February 2016]

See also Jersey Jewish Community on JCR-UK


Last Updated on Monday, 19 September 2016 20:50
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution