Synagogue: Built in 1902 for a mixed Sephardi and Ashkenazi community, the building is today a private dwelling with no exterior sign that it was a synagogue, but inside, the wooden painted ceiling remains intact, hidden in the attic.
Jews arrried in Zvornik in the 19th century. 1931 Jewish population was 75. In May 1942, the remaining Jews were transported to Banjica camp.
Cemetery: The cemetery founded in 1890 is situated near the road outside of town. As of 2000, the site was used as a vegetable garden. The monuments are barely visible with a makeshift fence, but no gate and no maintenance." Source [January 2009]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 04 September 2010 12:21|