|VASILISKI: Vasilishki, Vasilishok, Lida uezd [Wasiliszki, Vasilishak, Vasilishok, Vasilishki]. Wawiorka, Vaverka, Vavryka, Wawiorka]|
Alternate names: Vasilishki [Rus], Vasilishok [Yid], Wasiliszki [Pol], Vasiliški [Bel], Vasilishak, Vasilishuk, Russian: Василишки. Belarusian: Васілішкі. וואסילישוק - Yiddish. 53°47' N, 24°51' E, 20 miles WSW of Lida, 42 miles E of Grodno, 111.0 miles W of Minsk in Lida District, Vilna Guberniya, Lithuania; Lida District, Grodno Guberniya, Russia; and Lida District, Nowogrodek woj., Poland between WWI and WWII 1900 Jewish population: 2,081.
Vasilishki today a small village with a few thousand inhabitants. Vasilishki in the first half of the 15th century, 1486, was a small town (mestechko) of Lida povet. At the beginning of the 18th century, Vasilishki was a residence of the Polish king and Lithuanian duke Stanislau Liashchynski. During the second part of the 18th century, famous Vilna aristocrat, Michal Aginski, was a starosta (count) of Vasilishki. After Russian occupation, Vasilishki became the center of Lida povet volost in 1795, but Jews lived there since since 16th or 17th century. 1847 Jewish population was 719 and in 1897 census, 2,081 out of 2780 were Jews. In 1909 a men`s Jewish school opened. A synagogue existed.
Wawiorka/Vaverka/Vavryka at 53º50 24º58 and the dependent villages of Meyry at 5348 2502, Myto/Myta at 5350 2507, Nacha at 5405 2450?, Szemiakowszczyzna and the estates and hamlets of Baranowce, Bohdanowszczyzna, Dejnowo, Ekselmanowszczyzna, Gierdziowce, Jozefowo, Kasperowo, Kazimierzowo, Kowale, Krupowszczyzna, Lebiodka, Lozowka, Mislewicze, Papernia at 5347 2459, Rawilnowicz, Rulewicze 5352 2502, Szalew, Szymanow, Zieniewicze also used the cemetery. In 1928, Wawiorka was designated as a miasteczko (small town) & gmina (town) in the Second Uchastok, Lida powiat, Nowogrodskie voevodstvo of Poland. The Justice of the Peace was in Wasilizki and the Justice Court in Wilno. The 1928 miasteczko population was 174. The railway was sixteen kilometers away in Bialohruda. The post office and telephone were in Wawiorka and the telegraph located in Wasiliszki.
Two plaques on a monument mark the site of the Jewish cemetery. The older one, written in Russian, mentions "Russians" killed there and states the date as 1943 (incorrect.) The second plaque in Russian and Hebrew was erected on the 50th Anniversary of the slaughter of the Jews of Vasilishki in May 1942 and mentions Jews as the victims. [May 2002]
photos. [February 2010]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 22 August 2015 19:04|