Alternate names: Iwye [Bel], Ivye [Rus], Iwje [Pol], Ivia [Yid], Ivija [Lith], Iwia, Iwie, Ivie, Iv'ye, Iŭe, Iŭje, Russian: Ивье. Belarusian: Іўе. Yiddish: אייוויע. Located at 53°56' N, 25°46' E, 19 miles E of Lida, 23 miles N of Navahrudak (Nowogródek). in former Lida uezd, Vilna guberniya and Grodno guberniya, 19 miles E of Lida, 23 miles N of Navahrudak (Nowogródek).. Before WWI part of the Russian Empire, 1921- 1939 part of Poland, 1939-1941 part of the Soviet Union, 1944 - 1990s part of the Soviet Union. Jewish population: 573 (in 1897), 2,076 (in 1921).
- Town images (including cemetery) and links. 1900 Jewish population: 573.
- Sefer Zikaron le-kehilat Iwie (Tel Aviv, 1968) Yizkor and Yizkor Book [October 2000] In memory of the Jewish community of Iwye
- JewishGen Belarus SIG
- Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, p. 324: "Iwje".
- Shtetl Finder (1989), p. 31: "Ivia".
- Pinkas HaKehilot, Poland, Vol. 8 (2005), pp. 117-120: "Iwje".
- Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), pp. 553-554: "Iwje".
- Еврейская энциклопедия (1906-1913), "Ивье".'
- Wikipedia. [Oct 2014]
- Welcome to the Ivie Site - Eilat Gordin Levitan [Aug 2015]
- Photos on Radzima.org [Aug 2015]
- Website of local television "Ивье ТВ" [Aug 2015]
- Holocaust Survivor Testimony: Baruch Kopold -... [Aug 2015]
- PGSA: "Iwje, a town in Oszmiana county, lying at 53 degrees 56' North latitude, 25 degrees 46' East longitude [Editor's note: the Polish says 43 degrees 26' East, but that's because it was measured from Ferro], 39.1 miles in a southerly direction from Oszmiana and 89.3 miles from Wilno, at an altitude of 514 feet above sea level, possessing a peasant gmina administration, a rural school, a brick Catholic parish church called Sts. Peter and Paul, a post office for correspondence of all kinds and communicating with Lida through the Dzikowicze post office, about 19.6 miles away; the town numbers 2,123 inhabitants, that is, 1,054 men and 1,070 women (1869). The Iwje peasant gmina is divided among 5 rural districts, and has 42 villages, 978 houses, and 6,243 peasants. Iwje has a class II Catholic parish in Wiszniew deanery, an affiliate church in Dudy (compare its entry), a chapel in Satoltowicze, and 7,646 faithful.
- At one time Iwje was the property of the Kiszka family. Nicholas of Ciechanowiec of that family, voivode of Mscislaw and starosta of Wilkoszew, founded a church here in 1631, as well as a monastery, and he brought the Bernardine monks to it, offering them 200 zlotys annually from his estate, as well as a "decent allowance." This donation was made on June 10, 1633. The monks had there a library holding 489 books of theological content, and maintained near the monastery a clerical school of rhetoric, until the confiscation of church property in the first quarter of this century.
- From the Kiszkas ownership of Iwje passed to the Sluzkas, namely to Catherine Janusz nee Kiszka, wife of the Lithuanian commander. In 1662 she bequeathed it to Charles and Catherine nee Radziwill Hlebowicz, who were survived by two daughters: Marcybela Oginska, wife of Marcyan, the Troki voivode and Lithuanian chancellor; and Christina Sapieha, wife of the Polotsk voivode. When Oginska died without heirs, Iwje went to the Sapieha family, who in 1686 mortgaged it to the Tyzenhauz family. Today Iwje belongs to the countess Elfrieda Zamoyska, who acquired it as an inheritance from the Tyzenhauz family.
- Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3]
- Translated by Michael Gansecki and William F. Hoffman, PGSA May 2000 Rodziny.
- Iwie, a town and estate,in Oszmiana powiat. The estate comprises 29,400 acres [10,888 desyatins] of which nearly 17,580 acres are wooded. It includes the towns Iwie and Mikolajow on the Nieman River, as well as the manorial farmsteads: Galimszczyna, Chowailszczyna, Rembakowszczyna, Krasowszczyna, Staniewicze, Bagnorod, Ludmilin, Elfrydow, Augustowek, Borki, and Czapun. In 1832, the so-called "Iwian Countship" had villages and holdings covering 69,880 acres. Stanislaus Kiszka, son of the voivode of Witebsk, built a brick Catholic church in Iwie; his son Mikolaj, voivode of MscisIaw and starosta of Wilkomierz [Ed.: Lithuanian name Ukmerge], brought the Bernardine monks there; he settled them near the church and built a new, wooden parish church nearby. As its endowment he donated the Lipsk manorial farmstead, the peasant village of Streczenieta (with 415 settled acres [10 wtÑkas], 125 acres of land [3 wlokas], and 25-30 acres [20 morgs] of hayfields. Outside the town, in the Tatar settlement, are a Tatar mosque [Author: still there today] and burial ground. The first known owner of Iwie was Pietraszko (Peter) Mondygierd, district marshal and governor of Nowogrodek, who received it by a grant from King Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk in 1444. In 1542, the owner of Iwie was Jan Janowicz Zabrzezinski, royal marshal. Jan's wife Tomila Zabrzezinska (of the house of the dukes of Zaslaw and Mscislaw) bequeathed Iwie in 1558 to Mikolaj Piotrowicz Kiszka, the cupbearer of Lithuania. In 1825 Count Rudolf Tyzenhaus acquired Iwie from the heirs of commander Michal Oginski. Lastly Count August Zamojski obtained Iwie by way of dowry for his daughter Elfryda. Today it is owned by his son, Count Tomasz. Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [Vol. XVa, p. 619]. Translated by Michael Gansecki, PGSA August 2000 Rodziny. Used with permission."
photos. [February 2010]
Eilat Gordin photos [Oct 2014]
photos of mass grave of 220 Jews executed on the 2 August 1941 and mass grave of 2744 Jews executed in 1942. [March 2009]
A mass grave discovered in Iwje, Poland [grave is open] [Aug 2015]
"The first Jews were executed by firing squad in Iwje on 2 August 1941. Liquidation of the ghetto followed on 12 May 1942, three days after the slaughter of Jews from the ghetto in Lida. About 2500 persons were executed by firing squad in Stoniewicze near Iwje, by Germans with Lithuanian assistance. In order to survive, a few pretended to be dead. A commemorative monument stands at the place of extermination." Subotniki Source [Aug 2015]