Georg Knoerlein: Juedisches Leben im Forchheimer Land publ. 1998 Medien und Dialog Klaus Schubert, Haigerloch. 18 pages, illustr. (LBI).
The existence of Jews living in Hagenbach was first recorded in 1298. They were subsequently exiled until they gradually re-established themselves as a community in the 17th century.
This cemetery served as a burial ground also for Jewish families living in Wannbach, Egloffstein, Wiesenthau and Mittelehrenbach. It is enclosed by an almost impenetrable natural hedge. The gate into the cemetery is unusual because of the three large stone pillars supporting a wrought-iron double gate as well as a separate single wrought-iron gate.
A Nazi plan in 1941 to plant mulberry bushes in the cemetery to create a silk worm farm did not materialise.