NEUNKIRCHEN a. BRAND inc. ERMREUTH: 91077 Bavaria, Upper Franconia (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
At junction Ermreuther Hauptstrasse (A)) take left on Herrenbergstrasse for about 1km to (B). Walk through woods. The cemetery is at the top of the hill, nestleing on a slope between orchards and small wooded area.
IN USE: From 1711 until the late 1930s.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 215.
Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.
Georg Knörlein: Jüdisches Leben im Forchheimer Land publ. Medien und Dialog Klaus Schubert, 18 pages (LBI).
Rajaa Nadler: Der juedische Friedhof Ermreuth publ:Zweckverband Synagogue Ermreuth (1998) 309 pages (LBI).
The oldest gravestone is dated 1730 and the most recent 1932. It seems that after the Nazis came to power in 1933, those whose burial took place in 1936/37 apparently received no gravestones. The cemetery was desecrated in 1936, when 19 gravestones were uprooted. In 1993 unsuccesful stabilization attempts were made to prevent dangerously leaning gravestones from falling, which lead to some irreparable damage being caused to inscriptions in several instances.
This cemetery, dedicated in 1711 and twice extended, in 1797 and 1864 is enclosed by a stone wall with 2 gates on the north facing side. Elsewhere, a wire fence is in place. The cemetery, solely used by the local Jewish community, is now owned by Der Landesverband der Israelitischen. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern and is being excellently maintained by the Neunkirchen am Brand municipal authority.