The existence of a Jewish community in Sulzbürg dates back to the 14th/15th century. The cemetery, maintained in excellent condition and situated on a steep wooded hill, is enclosed by a wall with a decorative entrance gate, set within an arch.
During the Nazi pogrom of 9th November 1938, the cemetery was desecrated, gravestones uprooted, generally left neglected and subsequently closed altogether.
In 1945 the Sulzbürg inhabitants were ordered to restore the toppled gravestones and generally clean up the cemetery. Between 2003 and 2008 a cemetery conservation project was undertaken in collaboration between the Bavarian Ministry for the Preservation of Historic Monuments and the Jewish community of Munich. This was extended in 2009 by a comprehensive preservation programme.