KEMPTEN | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project
KEMPTEN (Allgäu): 87439 Bavaria, Swabia (Gerz, Peters).
DISTRICT: Urban District.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
IN USE: From 1876 until 1981. One further burial took place in 2008, by special permission.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: Unspecified.
Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
Jüdische Friedhöfe in Bayern publ. Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst, Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte (see Kempten).
There are two memorials in the cemetery: one is a commemorative plaque dedicated in 1960 in honor of the 16 named Jewish citizens of Kempten who were murdered during the Nazi epoch; the second is a commemorative stone in honor of 6 Jewish concentration camp victims from Poland, Lithuania and Hungary. At the back of the cemetery is an additional memorial stone in honor of non-Jewish prisoners of war and foreign workers who were buried here on the orders of the Gestapo (German Secret Police).
According to records kept by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem and based on information in the "Gedenkbuches - Opfer der Verfolgung der Juden unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft in Deutschland 1933-1945", another 30 named Jewish citizens from Kempten perished during the Nazi era.
In order to protect this cemetery from desecration by the Nazis, the then-Lord Mayor of Kempten, Dr.Otto Merkt, ordered the planting of a tall growing hedge including a metal gate in 1939. The cemetery, kept in excellent condition, is still enclosed by the thick hedge and also by wire mesh fencing with a metal lattice gate.
SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, pages 265-266 (Schwierz LBI).
(Researched and translated from German December 2009)
Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 January 2010 01:57