You are here: Home Germany BAYERN (BAVARIA) KEMPTEN
KEMPTEN PDF Print E-mail
KEMPTEN | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project

KEMPTEN (Allgäu): 87439 Bavaria, Swabia (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Urban District.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

IN USE: From 1876 until 1981. One further burial took place in 2008, by special permission.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: Unspecified.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.

  • Jüdische Friedhöfe in Bayern publ. Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst, Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte (see Kempten).

PUBLICATIONS:

NOTES:

  • There are two memorials in the cemetery: one is a commemorative plaque dedicated in 1960 in honor of the 16 named Jewish citizens of Kempten who were murdered during the Nazi epoch; the second is a commemorative stone in honor of 6 Jewish concentration camp victims from Poland, Lithuania and Hungary. At the back of the cemetery is an additional memorial stone in honor of non-Jewish prisoners of war and foreign workers who were buried here on the orders of the Gestapo (German Secret Police).

  • According to records kept by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem and based on information in the "Gedenkbuches - Opfer der Verfolgung der Juden unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft in Deutschland 1933-1945", another 30 named Jewish citizens from Kempten perished during the Nazi era.

  • In order to protect this cemetery from desecration by the Nazis, the then-Lord Mayor of Kempten, Dr.Otto Merkt, ordered the planting of a tall growing hedge including a metal gate in 1939. The cemetery, kept in excellent condition, is still enclosed by the thick hedge and also by wire mesh fencing with a metal lattice gate.

SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, pages 265-266 (Schwierz LBI).

(Researched and translated from German December 2009)

Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 January 2010 01:57
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution