KARBACH Print
KARBACH | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project

KARBACH: 97842 Bavaria, Lower Franconia (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Main-Spessart.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

  • Start from zum Ebenbild (A) to the Judenfriedhof (Detail), adjoining the Alter Sportplatz. The cemetery is on a hill in a small wood.

IN USE: From 1819 until 1938.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 234 gravestones in 16 rows. There are approximately 340 graves.

DOCUMENTATION:

PUBLICATIONS:

  • Israel Schwierz: Steinerne Zeugnisse jüdischen Lebens in Bayern - refer to Sources below.

  • Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Karbach, publ. Der Landesverband der Israelitischen. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern. 13. Jahrgang Nr. 77 September 1998 page 29f.

  • Leonard Scherg: Juden im Landkreis Marktheidenfeld Martin Harth [Marktheidenfeld]: Historischer Verein Marktheidenfeld und Umgebung, 1993, 176 pages, illus. (LBI).

  • Leonard Scherg: Juedisches Leben im Main-Spessart-Kreis : Orte, Schauplaetze, Spuren Herausgeber : Foerderkreis Synagoge Urspringen e.V. Haigerloch: Medien und Dialog, 2000, 50 pages, illus. (LBI).

  • Baruch Z. Ophir and Falk Wiesemann: Die juedischen Gemeinden in Bayern 1918-1945 : Geschichte und Zerstoerung with 9 maps, publ. by R. Oldenbourg, Munich 1979, 511 pages (LBI).

NOTES:

  • Prior to having their own burial ground in 1819, this Jewish community used the cemetery in Laudenbach for burials. After 1819, from 1852 onwards, the Karbach cemetery was used by the Jewish communities of Erlenbach and Marktheidenfeld.

  • The cemetery was desecrated in 1981, when 2 graves were dug up.

  • The cemetery is very well maintained and is enclosed by a relatively high substantial stone wall with a locked iron gate. Keys available from Josef Laudenbacher telephone +(49)-9391-6935.

  • A large memorial stone in the cemetery reads "In honour of the Dead and a lasting reminder of the persecution, torment and death suffered by our Jewish fellow citizens. It is to serve us, the Living, as a poignant lesson and as a warning for generations yet to come. Erected in the year 1983 by the communities of Karbach, Homburg and Marktheidenfeld" (The inscription is in German).

SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, page 79-80 (Schwierz LBI).

(Researched and translated from January 2010)

 

Last Updated on Friday, 08 January 2010 00:51