HÖCHBERG | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project
HÖCHBERG (HOECHBERG): 97204 Bavaria, Lower Franconia (Gerz, Peters).
DISTRICT: Würzburg (Wuerzburg).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: on Am Trieb street (A) actual location 30 yds further, on the right (Detail).
IN USE: From 1821 - oldest gravestone dated 1824.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: More than 300 gravestones, many very old.
Israel Schwierz: Steinerne Zeugnisse jüdischen Lebens in Bayern - refer to Sources below.
Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Höchberg, publ. Der Landesverband der Israelitischen. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern. 14. Jahrgang Nr. 61 March 1994 page 19.
Naftali Bar-Giora Bamberger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Höchberg. Memor-Buch (Schriften des Stadtarchivs Würzburg, Vol. 8). publ. F. Schoeningh, Würzburg 1991, 455 pages ill. (LBI).
The cemetery grounds were acquired in 1821 and extended in 1875. The Höchberg community used the Allersheim Jewish cemetery for their burials prior to 1882/83. A dry-stone wall surrounds the cemetery, with a double iron gate. The Höchberg cemetery was the preferred final Place of Rest for the Rabbis of Würzburg.
Desecration took place in 1938 and in 1994. The cemetery is well-tended.
SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, page 71-72 (Schwierz LBI).
(Researched and translated from German November 2009)
Last Updated on Sunday, 29 November 2009 16:32