Baruch Z. Ophir and Falk Wiesemann: Die jüdischen Gemeinden in Bayern 1918-1945. Geschichte und Zerstörung, publ. R. Oldenburg, Munich 1979, 511 pages. Page 290 refers to Euerbach (LBI).
Theodor Harburger: Die Inventarisation jüdischer Kunst und Kulturdenkmäler in Bayern. publ. by Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People, Jerusalem and the Jüdischen Museum Franken-Fürth & Schnaittach. Fürth 1998 vol. 2. Pages 180-181 refer to Euerbach (LBI).
This cemetery was first enlarged in 1734, then in 1835 and again in 1936 because the Euerbach burial ground was also used by the Jewish communities in the area, including those in Obbach, Niederwerrn, Geldersheim and Kützberg.
A mortuary with an adjoining small annex was built in 1807. Both were subsequently demolished, probably during the Nazi epoch, but whether this was due to wilful action or on account of dilapidation is unknown.
Members of the ‘Hitler Youth' movement desecrated and partially destroyed the cemetery, causing irreparable damage. The hearse of the Obbach and Niederwerrn Jewish communities was burnt in July 1939 by unknowns, an act claimed to have been committed in revenge for damage done to a Christian hearse.
In 2000 two large panels were erected in front of the cemetery gates, providing detailed information about the history of the local Jewish community, Jewish culture and this cemetery. These panels were inspired and put up by an international summer camp gathering of Youth social workers from different countries worldwide.
The cemetery can be visited by arrangement with Harri Winter (local tel. 09726/8690) or through the City Hall (local tel. 09726/9155-0).