From 1891 until 1945 (last official burial). Seven more burials of Jewish patients who had died in local hospitals took place thereafter. It is now in use again, since the establishment of a new local Jewish community.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 184.
Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.
Ilse Sponsel: "Spuren im Stein" - 100 Jahre israelitischer Friedhof in Erlangen,30. Sept. 1891 - 30. Sept. 1991 publ. Stadt Erlangen, Buergermeister- & Presseamt Erlangen1991, 67 pages (LBI).
Erlangen; Jewish community collection 1891-1988, 1 folder (LBI).
This Jewish community used the cemetery in Baiersdorf prior to having their own burial ground, which included a substantial, red brick built mortuary and a house for the cemetery caretaker.
The cemetery was not desecrated until May 1939, when it was destroyed. It is enclosed by a hedge and wire mesh fencing with an iron gate. The house of the cemetery caretaker is still so ocupied.
A large memorial stone was dedicated in November 1983 to the memory and in honour of the Jewish victims of the Nazi tyranny from Erlangen, of whom 31 perished in concentration camps and 3 who committed suicide.
The cemetery is now protected under a preservation order for sites of historic interest and is kept in exemplary condition by the city of Erlangen.