ELTMANN inc. LIMBACH Print
ELTMANN inc. LIMBACH | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project

ELTMANN incorp. LIMBACH: 97483 Bavaria, Lower Franconia (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Hassberge.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

IN USE: From 1714 until 1938 (last funeral).

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 154. Oldest datable gravestone 1705.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.

  • Jüdische Friedhöfe in Bayern publ. Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte, Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst - click on Friedhöfe A-Z and Limbach.

  • Die Jüdischen Friedhöfe im Landkreis Hassberge - a booklet including this cemetery publ. by researcher Fr. Cordula Kappner, Mühlenweg 5, 97475 Zeil a. Main, Germany or here in pdf format.

PUBLICATIONS:

NOTES:

  • The cemetery was enlarged in 1763 and was used jointly by the neighbouring Jewish communities of Knetzgau, Ebelsbach and Limbach. The cemetery is enclosed by barbed wire fencing strung between concrete posts. It has a double wooden gate hung between two stone pillars

  • Desecration of this cemetery took place on 10th November 1938 by Nazi gangs from Eltmann and Limbach, also subsequently in the 1970s and 80s.

  • This cemetery was documented in 1988 by students of the Ebelsbach junior high school.

SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, page 93 (Schwierz LBI).

(Researched and translated from German April 2010).

ELTMANN inc. LIMBACH | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project
Last Updated on Saturday, 17 April 2010 15:52