EGERSHEIM inc. ERMETZHOFEN
EGERSHEIM incorp. ERMETZHOFEN: 91465; Bavaria, Middle Franconia (Gerz, Peters).
DISTRICT: Neustadt a.d.Aisch-Bad Windsheim.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
IN USE: From 1654 until the end of the Nazi era.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: No numbers available but fairly numerous - see DOCUMENTATION.
- Numerous individual gravestone photographs as well as cemetery plans and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.
- In Schwierz - refer to Sources below.
- Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Ermetzhofen, publ. Der Landesverband der Israelitischen. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern. 10. Jahrgang Nr. 67 in September 1995 page 23.
- Johanna Morgenstern-Wulff: Der jüdische Friedhof von Ermetzhofen: a documentation on behalf of the municipality of Ergersheim, publ. Ergersheim 1989, 20 pages (LBI).
- The cemetery was enlarged in 1777 because it was also used for burials by the Jewish communities of Burgbernheim, Gnodstadt, Uffenheim and Welbhausen.
- The first recorded incident of desecration of this cemetery took place in December 1926.
- Severe desecration and destruction was caused during the Nazi era, when part of the cemetery was cleared away. Many gravestones were used for local road construction. The mortuary is still preserved.
- A stone wall, in part topped by wire-mesh fencing, surrounds the cemetery. The iron gates are decorated with 2 Magen Davids.
- Restoration of the cemetery took place in 1959. It is now under a preservation order and is kept in well-tended condition by the Ermetzhofen municipality.
SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, pages 161-162 (LBI).
(Researched and translated from German September 2009)
Last Updated on Tuesday, 15 September 2009 18:22