EBERN | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project
Die Jüdischen Friedhöfe im Landkreis Hassberge - a booklet, including this cemetery, publ. by researcher Fr. Cordula Kappner, Mühlenweg 5, 97475 Zeil a. Main, Germany or here in pdf format
A Jewish community in Ebern was expelled in the 14th century, re-established itself in the 16th century, only to be expelled again in 1639.
This cemetery also served a number of neighbouring Jewish communities for burials, including those of Memmelsdorf, Reckendorf, Autenhausen, Maroldsweisach, Gleusdorf, and Burgpreppach. This required several cemetery enlargements having to be made from time to time.
During the Nazi epoch the stone wall surrounding the cemetery built in 1693 was cleared away to be used for road construction. A new wall with a metal gate was built in 1962. The cemetery is now protected under a preservation order for sites of historic interest.