CHAM: 93413 Bavaria, Upper Palatine (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
IN USE: From 1889 until 1947 (last burial).
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: Approximately 100.
- Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.
- In Schwierz - refer to Sources below.
- Timo Bullemer: The Cemetery of the former Jewish Community of Cham (rijo research). (German version).
- First burial in 1890. A memorial stone was erected in 1998 in memory of a Cham born refugee Jewish lady who died in the USA.
- Three memorial plaques honour Jewish dead or missing soldiers of WW1.
- The cemetery was desecrated in 1949 and again in 1977, when gravestones were toppled.
- The iron gated cemetery is surrounded by a solid stone wall and is kept in excellent condition.
SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, pages 283-284 (LBI).
(Researched and translated from German September 2009)
Last Updated on Wednesday, 02 September 2009 21:58