BURGPREPPACH Print
BURGPREPPACH: 97496, Bavaria, Lower Franconia (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Hassberge.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

  • South-east of Burgpreppach on the Eichelberg in the village of Ibind, past the Lutheran church.
  • IN USE: From 1708 until September 1939 (last burial). Oldest datable gravestones 1710-1714.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES:  397.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.

PUBLICATIONS:

  • In Schwierz - refer to Sources below.
  • Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Burgpreppach, publ. Der Landesverband der Israelitischen. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern. 8. Jahrgang Nr. 57 in March 1993 page 16.
  • Michael Brocke/Christane E. Müller: Haus des Lebens. Jüdische Friedhöfe in Deutschland, publ. Reclam, Leipzig 2001 page 126 (LBI).
  • Theodor Harburger: Die Inventarisation jüdischer Kunst und Kulturdenkmäler in Bayern, publ. Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People, Jerusalem and the Jüdischen Museum Franken-Fürth & Schnaittach. Fürth 1998 vol. 2, pages 131-133 for Burgpreppach.
  • Michael Schneeberger: Die Juden von Burgpreppach. Serie: Jüdische Landgemeinden in Bayern No. 12 in Jüdisches Leben in Bayern 20. Jahrgang. No. 98 in September 2005 pages 32-40.
  • BURGPREPPACH | bayern-bavaria - International Jewish Cemetery Project Die Jüdischen Friedhöfe im Landkreis Hassberge - a booklet, including this cemetery, publ. by researcher Fr. Cordula Kappner, Mühlenweg 5, 97475 Zeil a. Main, Germany or here in pdf format

     

NOTES:

  • The cemetery in Ebern was used by this community before acquiring its own burial ground in 1708.
  • This community attained prominence between the 17th and 19th centuries as the seat of the District Rabbinate and that of a Yeshiva. This can still be witnessed today by some relatively large gravestones decorated richly in baroque style. There are few gravestones of the 20th century present.
  • The cemetery is being maintained in good order, has a wooden gate and is enclosed by a wire mesh fence, partially augmented by a hedge.

SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, page 47-49 (LBI).

(Researched and translated from German August 2009)

Last Updated on Tuesday, 26 January 2010 16:37