BURGHASLACH Print
BURGHASLACH: 96152, Bavaria, Middle Franconia (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Neustadt (Aisch) - Bad Windsheim.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

IN USE: From 1775 until June 1938.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: no numbers available, but the photograph in Alemannia Judiaca is a guide.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • One individual gravestone photograph and three general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.

PUBLICATIONS:

  • In Schwierz - refer to Sources below.
  • Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Burghaslach, publ. Der Landesverband der Israelitischen. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern, 11. Jahrgang Nr. 74 in October 1997 page 18.
  • Johann Fleischmann: Spuren jüdischer Vergangenheit in Aisch, Aurach und Seebrach. Die jüdischen Friedhöfe von Zeckern, Walsdorf, Aschbach, Uehlfeld Mühlhausen, Lisberg, Burghaslach and Reichmannsdorf, publ. Arbeitskreis "Juedische Landgemeinden an Aisch, Aurach, Ebrach und Seebach",1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006. Documentation of Burghaslach on pages 309-344 in Mesusa vol.3. (LBI).

NOTES:

  • Prior to having their own cemetery in 1775, this community initiallyused the cemeteries in Zeckern und Ullstadt. In 1761 a contract was established for the common use of the Burghaslach cemetery also by the Jewish communities of Aschbach, Geiselwind, Fürstenfort and Vestenbergsgreuth. The cemetery was extended several times and is surrounded by a solid sandstone wall, with a decorative wrought iron gate and a complete 4-roomed mortuary.
  • This cemetery was desecrated in April 1936, when several gravestones were destroyed. This destruction was repeated in 1937. It is now well maintained und under a protection of historical buildings and monuments order.

SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, pages 155-156 (LBI).

(Researched and translated from German August 2009)

Last Updated on Friday, 21 August 2009 17:57