BAYREUTH Print
BAYREUTH : 95448,  Bavaria, Upper Franconia  (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Urban District.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Nürnberger Strasse 9, Kreuzstein (Detail).

IN USE: From 1787 up to the present.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: Approximately 1000, of which about 950 date between 1787 and 1940.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.

PUBLICATIONS:

  • In Schwierz - refer to Sources below.
  • Josef Gothart: Was der jüdische Friedhof Bayreuths uns zu sagen hat, contained in the Archiv für Geschichte von Oberfranken‘ pages 457-470 (held in the Bayreuth Stadtarchiv library)

NOTES:

  • Prior to 1787 the Jewish community in Bayreuth used the cemetery in Burgkunstadt for burials, which was enlarged on several occasions during the following decades.
  • The cemetery is enclosed by a substantial stone wall, with a beautiful wrought iron entrance gate. There are three cemetery sections: to the left of the entrance are some old and very ornate gravestones, the middle section contains the oldest and also elaborate gravestones with a few newer ones located towards the back. The most recent gravestones are those in the right section. The large mortuary with three naves still exists. The cemetery is kept well maintained.
  • There is a group of three memorial stones in this cemetery, one in memory of the 6 million Jews murdered during the Nazi period 1933-1945, another in honour of the Jewish Fallen during WW1 and a third quoting Ezechiel 37.

SOURCES Alemannia Judaica, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and Schwierz, page 210 (LBI).

(Researched and translated from German August 2009)

Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 August 2009 14:24