The existence of a Jewish community in Bad Kissingen probably dates back to the 13th century, but was likely to have disappeared in 1298 during a period of expulsions. The presence of another community was recorded in 1644.
The present cemetery is enclosed by the old and partially restored stone wall and, in parts, by a new concrete wall with a wrought iron gate. There is a large mortuary containing various memorial plaques, including one recording the names of the fallen Jewish soldiers of WW1 from Bad Kissingen.
The cemetery was vandalised during the Nazi era and also by two youths in early May 1994, who damaged some gravestones by daubing them with paint. The culprits were arrested.
The cemetery is well maintained and contains many beautiful newer as well as numerous old and partially sunken old tombstones.