BAD BRÜCKENAU (BAD BRUECKENAU): 97769 Bavaria, Lower Franconia (Gerz, Peters).
DISTRICT: Bad Kissingen.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:Leimbachstrasse - separate section of the Waldfriedhof city cemetery.
IN USE: Established 1923, first funeral 1924.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 23.
Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.
In Schwierz - see Sources below.
Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof Bad Brückenau, publ. by Der Landesverband der Israelit. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern. 9.Jahrgang Nr. 64 in September 1994 pages(Abstract).
There is some evidence of an earlier Jewish cemetery dating from the beginning of the 17th century but no records of its location can now be traced. It was said to have been in existence prior to 1560. Following the banishment of Jews from Brückenau in 1671 this cemetery was abandoned.
Prior to the establishment of their current local cemetery, this community used the cemetery in Altengronau.
The current cemetery was dedicated in 1923 and is kept in excellent order. It is one of the most recent Jewish cemeteries in Germany. It now forms a section of the Waldfriedhof city cemetery, enclosed by wire mesh femcing and a hedge. The cemetery has its own entrance, consisting of 2 solid stone gate posts with a wrought iron gate. All graves are covered by stone slabs.
A massive memorial stone was dedicated in 1987 by the city of Bad Brückenau to the memory of their erstwhile Jewish community, and the destruction of their synagogue during the pogroms in November 1938, which eventually led to the extinction of this community in 1939.