The surrounding wall was constructed in 1868 and renovated after 1945, A mortuary was built in 1868, extended in 1888, destroyed by bombs during WW2 in 1944 and rebuilt after the war. It was subsequently completely renovated between 1979 and 1982, resulting in today's new, modern mortuary. Many beautiful old and new gravestones can be seen on both sides of the central pathway of the cemetery and along the right cemetery wall.
There is a large memorial stone with an inscription honouring the 6 million Jewish victims of the Nazi era. There were approximately 450 Augsburg Jews who were murdered in Nazi concentration camps.
Another memorial stone, in honour of the fallen Augsburg Jewish soldiers of WW1, is along the left cemetery wall,
In 1982 the city of Augsburg erected a memorial in the form of a huge Menorah, sculptured in stone, in a still unused part of this cemetery, near the mortuary. The cemetery is kept in exemplary condition.
A documented Jewish community existed here as long ago as in 1212. A cemetery was first recorded as existing in 1231. Over the following centuries and with the persecution of Jews, this burial ground was destroyed and gravestones were used for the construction of the Augsburg city hall.
A new Jewish community established itself in 1803. Prior to the establishment of their own cemetery in 1871, this community initially buried their dead in the Kriegshaber cemetery.
Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.
In Schwierz - refer to Sources below.
Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Kriegshaber (Schwaben), publ. by Der Landesverband der Israelit. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern. 9. Jahrgang Nr. 63 in September 1994 pages.Abstract.
The cemetery was established in 1627 and enlarged twice, in 1695 and again in 1722. It was also used communally by the Jewish communities of Pfersee, Steppach, Schlipsheim and Fischach. The Augsburg community also used this burial ground until 1867/68, up to the time when they had their own cemetery.
The cemetery is completely surrounded by a massive solid stone wall, with a wrought iron gate at the Hoover Strasse entrance, which carries a dedication. The wall had to be renewed in 1871 because the immediately adjoining field was the local artillery firing range, leading to shells landing repeatedly alongside the cemetery wall, causing major damage. Frequently, shells even landed in the cemetery itself, severely wounding people and damaging gravestones and graves.The firing range was eventually relocated in 1867.
Approximately ¾ of the cemetery area is covered by graves. Many of the oldest gravestones have sunk beneath the surface. Of the old gravestones still standing, the oldest date from 1662, 1673 and 1695.
A memorial stone to the memory of the victims of Nazi persecution was erected after 1945.
For anyone with Schwabian Jewish ancestors from the Augsburg region, the complete documentation of the Hochfeld Cemetery at Haunstetter Str., Augsburg and related records from Staatsarchiv Augsburg from 1867 to 1940 are now available on line. The links were provided to me by Yehuda Schnepf and were compiled by Rolf Hofmann, Herbert Immenkoetter, and Yehuda Schnepf. This documentation covers over 1300 grave sites together with extensive vital information about their family histories. It includes indexes for family name, maiden name and birthplace as well as chronological and schematic maps of the cemetery.