AUFSESS: 91347 Bavaria, Upper Franconia (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Follow Brunnerweg uphill; cemetery about 500 yds on the left.
IN USE: From 1722 until 1937 (last burial).
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 143. (Oldest datable gravestone 1735).
- Numerous individual gravestone photographs and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judiaca.
- In Schwierz - refer to Sources below.
- Michael Trüger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Aufsess, publ. by Der Landesverband der Israelit. Kultusgemeinden in Bayern. 14. Jahrgang Nr. 79 in April 1999 page 20 Abstract.
- Report (in German) of visit by the American Jewish Committee (AJC) to the cemetery in 2001.
- Tthis cemetery was initially also used by the Jewish community in Hollfeld and Bayreuth until they had established their own cemeteries. From 1902 onwards, the Jewish community in Heiligenstadt also buried their Dead here.
- A gated wire mesh fence originally surrounded this cemetery, later eplaced by a concrete wall and an iron gate.
- The cemetery, now owned by the Israelischen Kultusgemeine in Bayern is being kept in quite good condition by the city of Aufsess.
SOURCE: Alemannia Judaica and Schwierz, pages 204-205 (LBI).
(Researched and translated from German July 2009).
Last Updated on Friday, 17 July 2009 23:18