. 49°17′39″N 8°41′54″E. Wiesloch is a city in northern Baden-Württember, 13 km S of Heidelberg and the fourth largest city of the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis in the north-central area near Heidelberg with its neighbouring town Walldorf. Also are Dielheim, Malsch (bei Wiesloch), Mühlhausen, Rauenberg and Sankt Leon-Rot. In 1970s Wiesloch population: +20,000. Wiesloch became a "Große Kreisstadt" on January 1, 1973, when Altwiesloch, Baiertal, Frauenweiler and Schatthausen were joined with the town of Wiesloch to form the present municipality. Wikipedia. Jewish history. [August 2012]
Video shot in the Jewish Cemetery on 10/11/2010. [August 2012]
69168 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
IN USE: From 1661 (first recorded) until 1939 and 1950. Oldest datable gravestone 1670.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 1252.
- Documentation since the 1980s of individual gravestones of Jews from Leimen by Karl Günther
- 1987 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
- 1990 translation of gravestone inscriptions covering the years 1670-1819 by Daniel Alter, using the Zentralarchiv photographs.
- 1995 translation of gravestone inscriptions covering the years 1819-1865 by Simone Pöpl, using the Zentralarchiv photographs.
- 2004 also using the Zentralarchiv photographs, complete cemetery survey for a selected number of 140 gravestones including complete documentation by order of the city of Wiesloch in collaboration with the Office for Historic Monuments( Landesdenkmalamt) ed. Tobias Kostial. Zentralarchiv publication: nine volumes (= Wiesloch 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
- Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
- This cemetery served as a communities burial ground for around a dozen Jewish communities in the area. This included the Heidelberg community until they had acquired their own cemetery in 1702.
- The oldest datable gravestone is from 1670. No other complete stones from this period have survived. It is possible that they were lost when the cemetery was covered over at the turn of the 18th century. The oldest part of the cemetery was covered over at the turn of the 18th century. This was done in order to create another layer on top for more graves. The cemetery was extended in 1819 to the south-west and again in 1862 to the east.
- The synagogue was demolished in 1957. A part of the entrance door (with an inscription) was embedded in the cemetery wall. This wall also contains memorial plaques, dedicated in 1988, for Wiesloch Jews murdered during the Nazi era..
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.