WERTHEIM am Main 97877 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Eichelgasse opposite bridge (Detail).
IN USE: Possibly from 13th century onwards. Oldest datable gravestone 1405. In use until 1938.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 498.
- 1985 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
- 1989 translation of gravestone inscriptions from above photographs by Zentralarchiv (ed. Karol Sidon).
- 1998 complete cemetery documentation including the use of above photographs by order of the city of Wertheim in collaboration with the Office for Historic Monuments Landesdenkmalamt (ed: Emily Link);
- 1989/90 grave register and mapping of graves of the gravestones with German inscriptions in the new section of the cemetery by the Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Gymnasium Wertheim.
- Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
- Translation of 15th century gravestone inscriptions by Rapp 1961/62.
- Photographic cemetery survey fig. # 221 and history pages 296-297 by Hundsnurscher/Taddey1968.
- Photographic cemetery survey by Theobald1984, page101.
- History by Wertheim 1967.
- History by Eckert 1995.
- History, grave register and mapping of graves (only new of graves section) by Eckert1990, pages10-36.
- Eugen Ludwig Rapp: Die hebraeischen Steininschriften in Wertheim am Main; die Epitaphien des 15 Jahrhunderts (1964) pages 19-48 illus. (LBI).
- The cemetery of this Jewish community was established in the Middle Ages (1406). Still in use into the 20th century, it represents the oldest still existing Jewish cemetery in Baden-Württemberg.
- This cemetery contains a memorial plaque recording the names of Jewish men and women from Wertheim and Dertingen, who were murdered during Nazi era 1933-1945.
- The cemetery gate key is available at the Staedtische Fremdenverkehrsgesellschaft, Mainplatz (near "Spitzer Turm").
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
(Researched and translated from German January 2009).
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 05:47