WENKHEIM: 97956 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
Wenkheim, Gewann (name of field) Grosser Wald to the north-east of the town. Take the Mühleck - Kiryweg road as far as the parking lot.(Detail).
IN USE: From 1714 (oldest datable gravestone) until 1939.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 674.
1987 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
1996 cemetery ground documentation including above photographs and translation of 100 gravestone inscription by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt, ed. Margaretha Boockmann).
Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
Elmar Weiss: Zeugnisse juedischer Existenz in Wenkheim pub. Verein zur Erforschung Juedischer Geschichte und Pflege Juedischer Denkmaeler im Tauberfraenkischen Raum [Osterburken :E. Weiss,1992], 143 p. Illus. (LBI).
Photographic overview of cemetery by Hundsnurscher/Taddey1968, fig.#219.
Photographic overview of cemetery by Theobald1984, page101.
The cemetery ground was purchased in 1590 (Weiss 1992, page104) and was also used by numerous Bavarian Jewish communities including those of Oberaltertheim, Unteraltertheim, Geroldshausen and also in part up to 1810, by the community of Karbach.
The cemetery consists of four distinct sections: very old, old, more recent and recent. It is surrounded partially by a massive stone wall and partially by a wire-netting fence with a green hedge. The cemetery is heavily wooded.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica
(Researched and translated from German March 2009)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 05:43