WALDSHUT-TIENGEN 79761 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Feldbergstraße by the railroad crossing (Detail).
IN USE: From about 1760 until 1938.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES:
- 3 gravestones dated 1786, 1787 and the third possibly dating from 1763, 1793 or 1823. A number of old gravestone fragments were used to create a memorial. (see NOTES below).
- 1988 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
- 1994 complete cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt, ed. Monika Preuß).
- The grave register from the above cemetery documentation was published by Maajan 2003, page 2261.
- Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
- Photographic overview of cemetery by Theobald1984, page98.
- History, photographs and inscriptions of 3 gravestones in Petri 1984, pages71-79.
- Dieter Petri - Die Tiengener Juden pub. Zell am Harmersbach1984 172 pages. Illust (DNB).
- A local newspaper reported a case of vandalism to the cemetery, when a group of youths toppled 37 gravestones as early as on the 23 October 1903.
- Following the 1938 November pogrom, this cemetery was flattened and the gravestones used in the construction of a retaining wall for a local mine.
- A large memorial was constructed after 1945, created with the remnants of former gravestones.The names of 50 Jews buried here after 1889 from Tiengen, Waldshut and St. Blasien are recorded on the memorial.
- The cemetery area was dedicated as a place of remembrance after 1945 (Petri 1984, pages73, 76-77). A monument in the cemetery, erected as a sign of reconciliation, records the crime of desecration of graves by the Nazis in 1938. This memorial includes some of the fragments of the gravestones returned in 2000.
- The key to the cemetery gate is available in the Town Hall.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica
(Researched and translated from German January 2009)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 05:24