WAIBSTADT: 74915 Baden-Würtemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
- From the mid-17th century. Oldest datable gravestone 1690. Last funeral held in 1940.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 2556.
- 1913 grave register and continued up to 1936 by Jakob Bloch (Waibstadt).
- 1985/86 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
- 2004 complete cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt, ed. Martina Strehlen). Zentralarchiv copy in eight volumes as Waibstadt 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
- Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
- Cemetery layout (in German) in Alemannia Judaica.
- Chronological history (in German) of Jews in Waibstadt by Wolfgang Vögele und Ulrich Marowski.
- The cemetery was established following the 30-year (religious) war (1618 to 1648) but the exact date is unknown.
- The mausoleum of the Weil family was severely damaged between 1938 and 1940 (Hahn1988, page 489). The urns of Mr. Weil and that of his wife were plundered.
- The Weil family mausoleum was restored, as far as practical, in the 1980s.
SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica
(Researched and translated from German January 2009)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 05:29