ULM Print
ULM - Donau . 89073, 89081, Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
DISTRICT: Ulm.
  • I. Middle Ages cemeteries.
  • II. Old cemetery.
  • III. New cemetery.

 

I. Middle Ages cemeteries..

LOCATION OF CEMETERIES:

  • Originally at the Neue Tor - today junction Kelter-, Wengen- and Sterngasse. Then re-established in the immediate vicinity, outside the Neue Tor, now in the area of today's Hautppost (main post office).

IN USE:

  • First recorded 1281 and in use until 14th century, when it had to make way for the city‘s expansion. The re-located Middle Ages cemetery was first recorded in 1356, which was emptied in 1499 and the gravestones used for the construction of houses and the cathedral.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.

PUBLICATIONS:

  • History, inscriptions and comments on 24 re-discovered gravestones by Brann 1917.
  • History, list of gravestones by Dicker 1937, pages11, 20 and 21, 76 to78.
  • Photographs in Württemberg1932, pages40-46.
  • History in in GermaniaJudaicaI, pages381; II/2 pages844; III/2, page1498.
  • History by Hahn1988, pages.449 to 550.

NOTES:

  • Some of the old gravestones were re-discoverd during the 18th/19th century, of which a few can today be found in the builders' hut of Ulm's cathedral.. One gravestone is in the external wall of the house in Rabengasse 7.
  • Towards the end of the 19th century reports circulated about the re-discovery of gravestones The most extensive report was that of Markus Brann (Brann 1917). This essay, as well as that by Herrmann Dicker (Dicker 1937) refers in depth to previous and older literature.
  • Two parts of a gravestone were discovered during re-construction work in 1985 at the Middle Ages Martinskirche in Langenau (central administrative body), were they had served as steps leading to the choir in the High Altar. This gravestone was dated 1375 and was presumed to have originated in the Middle Ages cemetery and, according to information provided by the Lutheran parish office on 18.02.2000, is now exhibited in the old tower southeast of the Martinskirche. Moreover, another gravestone from Ulm was found in Langenau several decades earlier, returned to Ulm and re-used in the wall of the Alter Friedhof (Old cemetery). Nothing is know about its subsequent fate, as this cemetery was destroyed during the Nazi era (see Hahn1988, page113 on the subject of the gravestones).

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

 

II. Old cemetery

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

  • In a section in the old city cemetery, Alter städtischer Friedhof, today Frauenstrasse public park. (Detail)

IN USE: From 1852 (laid out). Last dated gravestone 1924.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 14.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1990 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • Cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt, ed. Michal Antmann).
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica..

NOTES:

  • This cemetery was completely destroyed between 1936 and 1945. The remaining gravestones were re-erected after the war. Nowadays this area is a public park (Hahn1988, page551).

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

 

III. New cemetery.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

IN USE: From 1899 until the present.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 335 in1990.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1990 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1994 register of graves by Schubart-Gymnasium.
  • 1997 elaboration on a report by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt) on the numbering system used by the Schubart-Gymnasium and the Zentralarchiv.
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica..

NOTES:

  • This cemetery contains a memorial in honour of Jewish soldiers from Ulm who died during WW1. It also contains the graves of Jewish soldiers who died of their wounds in the local military hospital.
  • There is a memorial plaque in the general section of this city cemetery in honour of the victims who were enslaved, disgraced and murdered by the barbaric rulers of the country between 1933 and 1945,

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

(Researched and translated from German January 2009)

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

 

Last Updated on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 05:26