TAUBERBISCHOFSHEIM: Main-Tauber-Kreis 9HOCHHAUSEN Print

Coat of arms of Tauberbischofsheim TAUBERBISCHOFSHEIM incorporating HOCHHAUSEN. 49 ° 37 'N, 09 ° 40' E.17 miles SW of Wuerzburg, Main-Tauber-Kreis, Baden N..Tauberbischofsheim is a German town on the river Tauber with a population of about 13,000. The town was first mentioned in 836. Jewish population: 200 (in 1880), 106 (in 1933).

  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 1299: "Tauberbischofsheim".
  • Pinkas HaKehilot , Germany, Vol 2 (1986), p. 351: "Tauberbischofsheim".
  • JewishGen GerSIG

 

97941 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Main-Tauber-Kreis.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

IN USE: From 1875 until 1939.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 146.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1986 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1993 complete cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt, ed. Barbara Döpp). The site plan is dated 1976.
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.

PUBLICATIONS:

NOTES:

  • Funerals for Tauberbischofsheim Jews ook place in Külsheim ((Hundsnurscher/Taddey1968, page269) up to 1876, when this cemetery had no longer any space. Following negotiations between the town council and the Jewish community of Tauberbischofsheim it was agreed to establish a Jewish section immediately adjoining the local non-Jewish city cemetery, for which the Jewish community had to pay, including the construction of a wall surrounding their own section. The Jewish section was dedicated by district Rabbi Flehingen from Merchingen in May 1876.
  • The Jewish section was desecrated on 18 February 1931, when 6 gravestones were toppled and wantonly damaged and besmirched. A reward was offered for the apprehension of the culprits.

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

 

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

IN USE: From 1876 until 1934.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 27.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1988 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1993 complete cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt, ed. Barbara Döpp). The site plan is dated 1976.
  • In 2007 the chief magistrate, Werner Schramm, presented a computer printout containing a copy of the 1993 complete cemetery documentation (above) including his own colour photographs of all gravestones and documents amongst which is a site plan.
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.

NOTES:

  • Prior to 1875 funerals for Hochhausen Jews took place in Külsheim (Hundsnurscher/Taddey1968, page271). From 1876 onwards the Jewish community of Hochhausen used their own cemetery An der Setz, situated west of the railroad station.

SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

(Researched and translated from German January 2009)

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Saturday, 20 April 2013 21:38