SULZBURG: Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald Print

Coat of arms of Sulzburg. 47°51' N 7°43' E, In Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald district in SW Germany near the French border, 12 miles SW of Freiburg im Breisgau, 5 miles NE of Müllheim. [Not to be confused with Sulzbürg at 49°11' 11°25" in Oberpfalz, SE of Nürnberg].Sulzburg situated on the western slope of the Black Forest had a long tradition of continuous Jewish settlement since The Middle Ages. Around 1850 almost one third of its population of around 1200 was Jewish. Sulzburg's barrel-vaulted synagogue has been completely restored.

CEMETERY:

Wikipedia "In the middle of the 16th century, the landmarked and landscaped cemetery was used for Jews from Sulzburg as well as from the wider area. Before 1670 Lörrach cemetery was used. For several decades no burials were made in  the ​​61.84 acre Sulzburger cemetery but by 1717 it was in use. From this period, the small cemetery hall dates . The Jewish cemetery is located on the so-called Badstraße in Berholz. In 1970, a memorial to the victims of persecution was built. [Apr 2013]

Information about the Jewish cemetery Sulzburg in Alemannia Judaica

Information about the Jewish cemetery Sulzburg in the list of Jewish cemeteries in Baden-Württemberg the Central Archives for the Study of the History of the Jews in Germany


79295 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters)

DISTRICT: Breisgau-Hochschwarzwaldkreis.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Badstrasse (Detail).

IN USE:

  • From 1717 until 1980. The oldest datable gravestone stems from 1731.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 462.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1989 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.

  • 1997 complete cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt, ed. Michal Antmann).

  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.

PUBLICATIONS:

  • Freie Kuenstlergruppe Freiburg e.V : Der jüdische Friedhof in Sulzburg pub. by Karlsruhe: G.Braun, illustrated, 2nd edition Freiburg 1995 (DNB).

NOTES:

  • This cemetery was first laid out during the mid-16th century

  • Prior to the establishment of the Lörracher Verbandsfriedhof (Lörrach Jewish communities cemetery) burials of deceased Sulzburg Jews took place in Jewish cemeteries spread over a wide area. The cemetery became derelict around 1660, during the 30 year war. In 1663 it was in use as a pasture. The area was rededicated as a cemetery in 1717. The existing half-timbered cemetery hall stems from this period.

  • There is evidence of severe desecration in the more recent part of this cemetery (see above under DOCUMENTATION: 1997 complete cemetery documentation, on page 2.)

  • This cemetery contains a memorial, dedicated in 1970, to the victims of Nazi persecution 1933-1945 in honour of the Jewish communities of Sulzburg and Staufen.

  • Part of the original cemetery site is now a caravan ground.

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica

(Researched and tanslated from German January 2009)

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

 

Last Updated on Saturday, 20 April 2013 21:31