49°20' N 9°30' E. SCHÖNTAL, JAGST incorporating BERLICHINGEN: Schöntal is a town and municipality in the district of Hohenlohe principally known as the location of the former Schöntal Abbey, a magnificent Baroque monastery. The Schöntal municipality was formed in 1972 by merging the eight municipalities of Aschhausen, Berlichingen, Bieringen, Marlach, Oberkessach, Schöntal (today known as Kloster Schöntal, Schöntal Abbey), Sindeldorf and Westernhausen. In 1973, the municipality of Winzenhofen was also incorporated. Website of the Municipality Schöntal [Mar 2013]
The cemetery of the Berlichingen Jewish community was first mentioned the 1623 and served many Jewish communities in1706: Adelsheim , Sennfeld , Merchingen , Krautheim , Hollenbach , Hohebach , Nagelberg , partly Braunsbach; the 19th/20th century. Bieringen , Ernsbach , Künzelsau ). The cemetery is located about 2 km SE (hall "Jewish funeral," area 147.93 a). Since 1985 a Holocaust memorial is located at the entrance since 1985.
||Bamberger , Bar Giora Naftali: Memor-book. Jewish cemeteries in the Hohenlohe district. Edited by the District Office of Hohenlohe. 2 vols. 1104 pages. 2002 (documentation of all cemeteries and grave stones of Berlichingen Hohebach, Krautheim, Ljubljana, Öhringen).
||Eva Maria Kraiss / Marion Reuter : Bet hahayim. House of Life. Jewish cemeteries in Württembergisch francs. Künzelsau 2003rd . ISBN 3-89929-009-7 (Webmaster's comment: Extremely beautiful and informative images and text strip with excellent photos of the cemeteries in Berlichingen Braunsbach, Crailsheim, Creglingen Dünsbach, Hohebach, Krautheim, Ljubljana, Michelbach the gap Niederstetten , Öhringen, Steinbach, Weikersheim)
74214 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
[Researched and translated from German October 2008]
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Berlichingen
), about 2 km south-east of village. A memorial stone marks the entrance since 1985.
IN USE: First recorded 1623 until 1936. Oldest datable gravestone 1659.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 1,197. (For A-Z list of graves: see under Publications below
- Since 1978 by Schwedler (work still in progress) – photographs of all gravestones from the 17th century with legible inscriptions. Also photographs of other selected gravestones.
- 1988 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
- 1990 burial register with the names taken from Zentralarchiv photographs of identified gravestone inscriptions (only gravestone No. 1 -253) by Zentralarchiv, ed. Karol Sidon.
- Complete cemetery documentation by Naftali Bar-Giora Bamberger, published after his death.
- Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
- Photographic survey by Württemberg 1932, page 57.
- History by Berlichingen 1988.
- History by Berlinger 1991, pages 48-50.
- Complete cemetery documentation by Bamberger 2002, pages 1-774. The book (2 volumes) with the title Memor-Buch Die juedischen Friedhoefe im Hohenlohekreis by Naftal Bar-Giora Bamberger ISBN 3-934350-59-3. Published by Spiridof. This publication contains an A-Z list of graves in this cemetery. Leo Baeck Library (LBI).
- The cemetery was first documented in 1623 to serve as a place for burials for various Jewish communities in the area, which, in 1706, were named as Adelsheim, Sennfeld, Merchingen, Amt Krautheim, Hollenbach, Hohebach, Nagelsberg partially also Braunsbach. Thereafter, until the 19th/20th century the cemetery was also used by the communities of Bieringen, Ernsbach and Künzelsau.
- There was controversy in the spring of 2008 when it was found necessary to cut down numerous trees in the cemetery, an event which was reported in the local press, the Hohenloher Zeitung. The article, together with photographs can be found in Alemannia Judaica.
SOURCES: University of Heidelberg
and Alemannia Judaica