You are here: Home Germany BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG (BADEN-WUERTTEMBERG) RASTATT: Rastatt district, also see Kuppenheim
RASTATT: Rastatt district, also see Kuppenheim PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Rastatt 48°51' N 8°12' E, Rastatt [German Barock- und Residenzstadt Rastatt] is a city and baroque residence in the District of Rastatt on the Murg river, 6 km (3.7 mi) above its junction with the Rhine and has a 2011 population of around 50'000. Wikipedia. [Mar 2013]

Website of the city of Rastatt

Central Archives of Heidelberg with information about Jewish cemetery Rastatt

Gerhard Friedrich Linder : The Jewish community in Kuppenheim     
was the Jewish community in Kuppenheim for centuries home for Jews from all over Baden. From the first mention in the 15th Century about the emancipation of the Jews in the Grand Duchy of Baden, and to observing the "Third Reich", the author documented the turbulent history of this community. The band is complemented by the Jewish citizens and funeral book on CD-ROM.   
Eds. of the city Kuppenheim.  
144 S. with 40, some color illustrations and a CD-ROM, hard cover.  
ISBN 3-89735-110-2. € 13.90  link to the publisher regional culture

CEMETERY: The Jewish community of Rastatt were first buried in Kuppenheim. In 1881, they started its own cemetery dedicated after 1933, 90 burials were made ​​(area 9.37 a; on Karlsruher Straße / Gerwigstraße). Since 1932 plans to plant a new cemeter came to nothing. In the cemetery is e 1972  Holocaust memorial. photos. [Mar 2013]

76437 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Rastatt.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Karlsruher Strasse/corner Gerwigstrasse (Detail).
IN USE: From 1881 until 1978.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 104.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1987 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1994 cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed. Monika Preuss).
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • The cemetery in Kuppenheim was used for burials prior to the establishment of their own cemetery by the Rastatt Jewish community in 1881 (Translateur 1931, page 22).
  • A memorial plaque was dedicated in 1972 to the memory of the named Rastatt victims of the Nazi era between 1933 and 1945.
SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

[Researched and translated from German September 2008]

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Friday, 29 March 2013 21:46
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution