ÖHRINGEN, OEHRINGEN: Hohenlohek also see Affaltrach and Berlichingen Print

Coat of arms of Öhringen ÖHRINGEN (OEHRINGEN): 49°12' N 9°30' E. Öhringen is the largest city in Hohenlohe (district) on the railway to Schwäbisch Hall and Crailsheim. Wikipedia. [Mar 2013]

Jewish community information.

  • Paul Sauer: The Jewish communities in Württemberg and Hohenzollern , Stuttgart, 1966, pp. 156/147.
  • Jewish citizens in Öhringen - a documentary , city Öhringen 1993

Öhringen Jews were first buried in the Affaltrach and Berlichingen Jewish cemeteries. In 1910 was a private cemetery on the gallows in Galgenberg in der Flur Im Schönblick built with a surrounding wall and a small hall ( Taharahaus ) costing 10,000 marks. The city Öhringen gave to a grant of 1,000 marks. The first buried was the cattle dealer Isaac Hart on the 21st August 1911. Probably the last burial was Pauline Hirsch, wife of horse dealer Leopold Hirsch, on 5t May 1939. In 1939 the Jewish community sold a previously unused part of the cemetery plot of 67 Ar to a farmer. The cemetery fence and hedge is removed from this portion and planted with fruit trees. After 1940, the cemetery was completely cleared; and some of the gravestones sold to masons. After 1945, the gravestones were returned. The ISRO placed a restitution claim in the postwar period on the 1939 part of the plo soldt, but then agreed with the farmer who paid. The Jewish cemetery has an area of 9.22  Ar; still are 54 gravestones are visible. Plaques in the courtyard of the cloister remember two Öhringer Jews who died in the First World War. [Mar 2013]

  • Joachim Hahn and Jürgen Krüger: Synagogues in Baden-Wuerttemberg . Volume 2: Joachim Hahn: places and institutions . Theiss, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-8062-1843-5Memorial Book of the synagogues in Germany . Volume 4)
  • Jewish citizens in Öhringen - a documentary , city Öhringen 1993, pp. 31-34.

74613 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Hohenlohe.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Im Schönblick (Detail).

IN USE: From 1911 until approximately 1938. First burial in August 1911 - last Mai 1939.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 54.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1988 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.

  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.

PUBLICATIONS:

NOTES:

  • Prior to having their own burial ground, the cemeteries in Affaltrach and Berlichingen were used (Hahn 1988, page 266).

  • With the consent of the local council the Jewish community of Öhringen acquired some plots of land on the Galgenberg in 1910 to establish their own cemetery. This included a mortuary at a cost of 10,000 Marks for which the local council made a contribution of 1,000 Marks.

  • Two Fallen Öhringen WW1 Jewish soldiers lie buried here.

  • A part of the cemetery area was sold in 1939 by the Jewish community to a local farmer. The still unused part of the cemetery was surrounded by a fence and hedge. The cemetery was to be cleared away after 1940 and some of the gravestones were sold to local stone masons.

  • In the post 1945/46 period the cemetery was refurbished and the gravestones re-erected (Hahn 1988, page 266). The mortuary remained intact.

SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

(Researched and translated from German August 2008)

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

 

Last Updated on Thursday, 21 March 2013 23:58