|ÖHRINGEN, OEHRINGEN: Hohenlohek also see Affaltrach and Berlichingen|
Öhringen Jews were first buried in the Affaltrach and Berlichingen Jewish cemeteries. In 1910 was a private cemetery on the gallows in Galgenberg in der Flur Im Schönblick built with a surrounding wall and a small hall ( Taharahaus ) costing 10,000 marks. The city Öhringen gave to a grant of 1,000 marks. The first buried was the cattle dealer Isaac Hart on the 21st August 1911. Probably the last burial was Pauline Hirsch, wife of horse dealer Leopold Hirsch, on 5t May 1939. In 1939 the Jewish community sold a previously unused part of the cemetery plot of 67 Ar to a farmer. The cemetery fence and hedge is removed from this portion and planted with fruit trees. After 1940, the cemetery was completely cleared; and some of the gravestones sold to masons. After 1945, the gravestones were returned. The ISRO placed a restitution claim in the postwar period on the 1939 part of the plo soldt, but then agreed with the farmer who paid. The Jewish cemetery has an area of 9.22 Ar; still are 54 gravestones are visible. Plaques in the courtyard of the cloister remember two Öhringer Jews who died in the First World War. [Mar 2013]
74613 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
IN USE: From 1911 until approximately 1938. First burial in August 1911 - last Mai 1939.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 54.
(Researched and translated from German August 2008)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 21 March 2013 23:58|