ÖHNINGEN (OEHNINGEN) incorporating WANGEN, also Gailingen Print

Coat of arms of ÖhningenÖHNINGEN: (OEHNINGEN) incorporating WANGEN, Bodensee. 47°40' N 8°54' EÖhningen is a town on the western edge of Lake Constance where it forms the border between Switzerland and the district of Konstanz (or Constance). Helmut Fidler compiled a comprehensive history of the Jewish community in Wangen near Lake Constance (Höri Peninsula, today part of Öhningen)  Contact Helmut Fidler via This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it hfidler [et] web.de. Jewish community history. [Mar 2013]

The Jewish cemetery [photos]: The Jews here first used Gailingen Jewish cemetery since 1827 (a 30.82 area, last occupied in 1970 and 1971) a private cemetery in Won "On Hardtbühl." no signs. Directions are on the website. A proposed site adjoining the cemetery may be a danger to the site. [Mar 2013]

Website of the Municipality Öhningen


Website of the Central Archives of Heidelberg with information to the Jewish cemetery cheeks

 

78337 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Konstanz.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: In Öhningen Hohlweg (Detail – Am Hardtbühl).
IN USE: From 1827 until 1941, 1970, 1971. Oldest datable gravestone 1846.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 149.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • About 1900/1901 register and mapping of graves by Steinem 1901.
  • 1989 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1994 cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed. Barbara Döpp und Monika Preuss).
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • Up to 1827 and until their had their own burial ground, the Gailingen cemetery was used for burials by this community (Hundsnurscher/Taddey 1968, page 286).
  • 17 gravestones were toppled during a cemetery desecration in October 1992 (Stuttgarter Zeitung 19 June 1993).
  • The cemetery is located on a forested hillside, surrounded by a five-foot gated but unlocked stone wall. There is no caretaker. Directions to the unmarked cemetery: from village centre: take the Hohlweg, straight ahead at crossing with Im Oberdorf pass through gorge (Schlucht) and after abt.100 meters take path along a serpentine. The neglected cemetery is abt. 300 meters further on.
SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
[Researched and translated from German August 2008]
Last Updated on Thursday, 21 March 2013 23:40