You are here: Home Germany BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG (BADEN-WUERTTEMBERG) NORDRACH: Ortenau district
NORDRACH: Ortenau district PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Nordrach.48°24' N 8°05' ENordrach is a municipality in Ortenau district. Nearly 80% of its area is forested as part of the Black Forest. Dr. Otto Walther and his wife, Dr. Hope Adams, founded a TB hospital nearby in the late 19th century. She was the first woman licenced to practice medicine in Germany. Since 1905 Rothschild Foundation in Frankfurt had a sanatorium for Jewish female lung diseaseMA Rothschild sanatorium ). The Foundation's founder was Baroness Adelaide de Rothschild (1853-1935: detailed history of sanatorium and Jewish community. [Mar 2013]

Website of the city Adelsheim


Franz Hundsnurscher / Gerhard Taddey : The Jewish communities in Baden. 1968th Pp. 33-35.

Germania Judaica II, 1 S. 3rd

Gottlieb Graef : The History of the Jews Adelsheimer in: home pictures from the history of the city Adelsheim. 1939th 1969 ². Pp. 175ff.

idem: The Adelsheimer protect Jews. 5th Franconian leaves No. 2 1919: In


Joseph Walk (Eds.) Württemberg - Hohenzollern - Baden. Series: Pinkas Hakehillot. Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities from their foundation till after the Holocaust (in Hebrew). Yad Vashem Jerusalem 1986th Pp. 216-217.

Rüdiger Scholz : A history of the Jewish community in Adelsheim. In: Our Country. 1993, pp. 158-163.

Joachim Hahn / Jürgen Krüger : "There is nothing but God's house ...". Synagogues in Baden-Wuerttemberg. Volume 1: History and Architecture. Volume 2: Places and facilities.Edited by Rüdiger Schmidt, Baden State Library, Karlsruhe and Meier Schwarz, Synagogue Memorial, Jerusalem. Stuttgart 2007th

 

77787 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Ortenaukreis.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Michelbach outside Nordrach village (Detail).
IN USE: From 1907 until 1941 and again in 1977.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 30.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1988 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1992 cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed. Monika Preuss).
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • The Rothschild Foundation (Frankfurt/Main) founded and ran a sanatorium in Nordrach between 1903 and 1940 for patients suffering from lung disease. It was for the patients who died at the sanatorium that the cemetery was created in 1907 (Hundsnurscher/Taddey 1968, pages 229-230). 29 of the graves are for patients who had died up to 1942. The last burial took place in 1977. There are information boards in the cemetery. The cemetery‘s mortuary is still in existence.
  • A memorial plaque for the sanatorium’s founder, Baroness Adelheid von Rothschild was affixed in the spring of 2003 at the entrance to the building in Nordrach. It is assumed that this plaque was originally displayed in 1935.
SOURCES: Unversity of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

[Researched and translated from German July 2008]

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Thursday, 21 March 2013 19:31
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution