MÜLLHEIM: and Badenweiler in Breisgau-Hochschwartzwald Print

Coat of arms of Müllheim. ALTERNATE NAMES: MÜLLHEIM [GER], MULHEIM, MUELLHEIM, 47°48' N, 07°38' E. JEWISH POPULATION: 422 (IN 1864), 80 (IN 1933). Müllheim is a town in the district Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald. Müllheim is generally considered the center of the region known as Markgräflerland between the Rhine valley and the Black Forest vineyards.

  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 854: "Muellheim".
  • Pinkas HaKehilot, Germany, Vol. 2 (1986), p. 403: "Müllheim"
  • JewishGen GerSIG
  • Wikipedia. [Mar 2013]
  • Jewish dead of Müllheim were buried in Sulzburg until 1850 when their own cemetery in the Black Forest road surface 19.94 a) was ready. A war memorial for seven Müllheim Jews killed in WWI included atchitectural elements formerly placed in the synagogue. The columns and the keystone of Toraschreines synagogue was erected here after its demolition . Since 1987, a bronze plaque Holocaust memorial commemorates 46 Jews who perished from Müllheim and Badenweiler (in the top of a sandstone monument side turret of the synagogue). map and photos. community history. photos. [Mar 2013]

     

    79379 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
    (MUELLHEIM)

    DISTRICT: Breisgau-Hochschwarzwaldkreis.
    LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Between Schwarzwaldstrasse and Im Nussbaumboden.
    IN USE: From 1850 until 1938 and again between 1967 and 1973.
    NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 301. Oldest dated gravestone 1852.
    DOCUMENTATION:
    • 1989 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
    • 1995 cemetery documentation including above photographs by order of the City of Müllheim in collaboration with the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed. Barbara Döpp und Renata Fischer-Hoffmann).
    • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
    PUBLICATIONS:
    NOTES:
    • An earlier Jewish cemetery between the 15th and 16th century is assumed to have existed on the Judenkirchhof (Jews cemetery) at the Mattfeld (Hahn 1988, page 152).
    • Up to 1850 the Jewish community of Müllheim used the cemetery in Sulzburg for burials (Hahn 1988, page 152).
    • There is a memorial plaque in the cemetery, formerly located in the synagogue, in honour of the seven Jewish soldiers who died during WW1.
    • The capstone of the Arc of the former synagogue was re-erected in the cemetery after the latter was demolished.
    • A monument was dedicated in the cemetery in 1987, containing a bronze plaque with the names of the 46 Jews from Müllheim and Badenweiler murdered during the Nazi era. The sandstone crown of one of the former synagogue’s small towers was incorporated in the monument.
    SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

    [Researched and translated from German July 2008]

    To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

    Last Updated on Monday, 18 March 2013 20:43