You are here: Home Germany BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG (BADEN-WUERTTEMBERG) MECKESHEIM in BADEN
MECKESHEIM in BADEN PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Meckesheim 49°19' N 8°49' E. This village in SW Germany between Heidelberg and Sinsheim in the Rhein-Neckar district.  in 1803 the village became a part of Baden.

Meckesheim: Mazewot of the Jewish Cemetery / Grabsteine auf dem jüdischen Friedhof YouTube. YouTube video.

Meckenheim Jewish dead first were buried in Wiesloch Jewish cemetery. This cemetery was created in 1896 next to the Christian cemetery on 4.56 Ar. 22 gravestones ( Mazewot ) are visible. The first burial took place in 1897 and the last in 1935. In 1985 a Holocaust monument was placed. The Jewish community formed in 1700 when the first Jew, Moses Marx of Dilsberg, came to Meckenheim. Jewish population: three families in 1744, seven families in 1809, and 66 people in 1880, 48 in 1900, and 17 in 1933. From 1827, the village belonged to Bezirksrabbinat Heidelberg . In 1830, the Leopold Street synagogue was built to replace the prayer room. The community also had a school, a mikveh and cemetery. On 12 October 1937 the community dissolved by decision of Baden State Ministry. The remaining Jewish inhabitants joined the Jewish community in Neidenstein at 49 ° 19 'N, 08 ° 53' E . The synagogue was sold at the end of 1937, and the building survived  the pogroms of November 1938 intact.The memorial book of the Federal Archives recorded seven Meckenheim Jewish citizens murdered by the Nazis; four were sent to Gurs. Cemetery photo.   [Mar 2013]

74909 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Rhein-Neckar-Kreis.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Friedhofweg - adjoining the City cemetery (Detail – follow arrow).
IN USE: From 1896 until 1935. First funeral 1897.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 22.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1987 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1992 cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed. Monika Preuss).
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • Prior to having their own cemetery after 1896, the cemetery in Wiesloch was used for burials (Hundsnurscher/Taddey 1968, page 197).
  • A new general cemetery hall was built in recent years, above the Jewish cemetery area.
  • There is a memorial stone in the cemetery, erected 1985, commemorating the murdered Jews of Meckesheim during the Nazi period.
SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

[Researched and translated from German July 2008]

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Thursday, 21 March 2013 16:54
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution