|MANNHEIM: incorporating Feudenheim:|
49 ° 29 'N, 08 ° 28' E, 1910 Jewish population: 6.402. MANNHEIM incorporating Feudenheim is a city in SW Germany with approximately 315,000 inhabitants. The second-largest city in Baden-Württemberg, after Stuttgart, Mannheim is located at the confluence of the Rhine and the Neckar in the NW corner of Baden-Württemberg. The Rhine separates Mannheim from Ludwigshafen. Mannheim is downstream along the Neckar from the city of Heidelberg. Mannheim is unusual in that its streets and avenues are laid out in a grid pattern, "die Quadratestadt" ("city of the squares"). Mannheim is the starting and finishing point of the Bertha Benz Memorial Route. Wikipedia. Almost 2,000 of Mannheim's Jews were exterminated during WWII. Air raids on industrialized Mannheim almost completely destroyed the city. [Mar 2013]
Cemetery photo. Charcoal drawings and some biographical information about the new cemetery: Next to the main graveyard in Mannheim, Germany and easily accessible through an Iron Gate, open for visitors during regular hours or by prior arrangement.Built in 1925, older stones in the graveyard were transferred from a previous cemetery from another location. The gravestones are aging and green with moss; the mature trees yield a peaceful filtered light. The cemetery has many small separately maintained graves, more random and maintained with a different philosophy from the adjoining cemetery. This cemetery allows an arresting natural look. Inscriptions are in Hebrew, German, or both. Tours are sponsored by the city of Mannheim several times a yea.r. Vandalism of Jewish cemeteries is growing in Germany, but not in this cemetery. YouTube video. YouTube video. YouTube video. 2011 visit photos. 1938 photo.post-WWII photo. 1938 moving gravestones to new cemetery photo. Jewish history. New cemetery history and photos. The largest Jewish cemetery in Baden-Wuerttemberg [approximately 2.8-acre], the site is located east of the main cemetery in the district Wohlgelegen, NE of the inner city of Mannheim on the right side of the Neckar . Left of the entrance is the consecration hall. The cemetery expanded in a northeasterly direction. The main path is lined with linden trees and horse chestnuts. Initially, common gravestones were red sandstone . From about 1870, materials were more diverse with more varied styles. The upper middle class built magnificent tombs on the cemetery walls,. After theWWI, a return to simpler gravestones occurred. At the front is a mass grave with more than 3,500 murdered in 1938 at the old cemetery and transferred here. That is bordered by 31 gravestones from the old cemetery and another 14 are on the cemetery wall. Between them stands the Holocaust Memorial erected in 1954 "To those who could not find a grave." In the rear and completed in 1969 is a grave box - mainly of "stones pillow" for ash urns from concentration camps wre transferred or before the deportations to Gurs. Other graves of Mannheim Jews are in the 1962 Baden town cemetery in Gurs. Also at the rear is a mixed marriage plot where Jews were buried with their Christian spouses. [Mar 2013]
Buried in the New Cemetery:
After the Thirty Years War, Jews settled in Mannheim. The first cemetery was Heiliger Sand in Worms, used until 1660 when a concession allowed the Jews to build their own A year later,aq cemetery was created in St. Jude - one of the bastions in Mannheim's city walls in today's square F7. Extended several times by the purchase of adjoining properties to an area of 0.28 hectares, a new cemetery opened after 1842 and the old one closed but remained unchanged according to Jewish tradition. Historian Frederick Walter described the site in 1907 as an "interesting and evocative remnant of an old man's home." The Jewish community in 1938, under emmence pressure. removed the dead to the new cemetery with some of the old gravestones. On 17 July 1938,the old cemetery closed. Destroyed in 1960 by the new city council, an infant day care center and a park and a memorial plaque stands there now. In 2007 the city archivesadded another panel (sandstone pillar), recalling the events. [Mar 2013]
68259 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERIES: 1. Scheffelstrasse and 2. Talstrasse
1. Close to Scheffelstrasse 33 (Detail).
IN USE: From 1858 until 1900. Oldest gravestone dated 1861, youngest dated 1897.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 53.
University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
2. Talstrasse (Detail), adjoining Feudenheim City general cemetery.
IN USE: From 1900 until 1941. Oldest gravestone dated 1901, youngest 1941.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 19.
University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
[Researched and translated from German July 2008]
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 17 March 2013 21:01|