|LAUPHEIM: Biberach district, also see Ulm|
48°14' N, 09°53' E, in Upper Swabia (Oberschwaben), S Germany, 50 miles SE of Stuttgart, 78 miles W of München (Munich). Jewish population: 852 (in 1869). On of the main trading routes from Ulm to Ravensburg and then toward Lake Constance, the town developed from a rural settlement into a small urban area. Laupheim is home to a small to medium sized industries and businesse including German Armed Forces Laupheim Air Base. Laupheim was the administrative center of the district of Laupheim from 1842 until 1938 when the district was abolished. The southern parts were incorporated into the district of Biberach (including Laupheim ) whereas the remainders were allocated to the district of Ulm. In the second half of the 19th century, Laupheim was home to the largest Jewish community in the Kingdom of Württemberg and the educational center for the surrounding areas. Wikipedia. [Mar 2013]
Nathanja overseer : The Jewish cemetery Laupheim. A documentation. Ed city Laupheim 1998th 601 pp. ISBN 3-00-003527-3 ( herein further references)
To stimulate the local economy and generate tax revenues, Carl Damian von Welden allowed the first Jewish families to settle in Großlaupheim in the 1720s under his protection. The Jews were made to settle in an area of the town (Judenberg, literally Jews' mountain or Jews' hill). Subsequently, a Jewish quarter evolved with a cemetery, synagogue, school and Rabbi's office. The Jewish community gradually assimilated Christian surroundings and prospered until the beginning of the Nazi-period in 1933. Deportation of the last remaining Jews was in 1942. See the very detailed History of the Jews in Laupheim including photos of the cemetery. Cemetery history and photos: Begun after 1730 and later expanded several times (area 46.27 ar), the cemetery survived the Nazi era almost unscathed. At the end of 1942, all metal objects were removed from the gravestones. Only a bronze plaque with the names of the war dead of the 1st World War II remained at the Cenotaph. The cemetery was documented several times after 1945. At the entrance in 1984, a large plaque with the names of Laupheim Holocaust victims was attached. The mortuary at the cemetery was built in 1822 and replaced in 1907 with a new one on the same site (Judenberg 24). About 1,200 graves with about 1,000 gravestones preserved. [Mar 2013]
JOWBR: Juedischer Friedhof Laupheim
88471 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Judenberg 24 (Detail).
IN USE: From 1732 until 1945 and occasionally also after 1945. Enlarged on several occasions.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 916.
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 17 March 2013 18:52|