48°50' N 8°15' E, town in the district of Rastatt on the river Murg, 5 km SE of Rastatt and 8 km north of Baden-Baden. town website.
History and photos and newspaper articles:Ffirst mentioned in 1694 [sic] was a Jewish cemetery established for the dead of surrounding Jewish communities (temporarily until the 20th century), especially for Ettlingen , Gernsbach , Hörden , Malsch; surface ar 104.0) .Destroyed in 1938, the cemetery hall was built in 1889 outside the town of the town. On a forest road is also a memorial to the fallen of WWII. Desecration occurred in 1897. [Mar 2013]
76456 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters)
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: at the Stadtwaldstraße
- From the end of the 17th century until 1938 and again in 1983. First mentioned in records in 1694 (see Linder 1999, page 57).
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 1,054.
- 1987/1988 photographs of all gravestones with mapping of graves by Zentralarchiv.
- 2004 photographs of selected gravestones by Johann Deiters.
- Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
- Records of burials have been kept since 1692 (Hundsnurscher/Taddey 1968, page 173).
- This cemetery was also used from time to time by the Jewish communities of Baden-Baden, Bodersweier, Bühl, Kehl, Lichtenau, (Neu-)Freistett, Muggensturm, Rastatt, Rheinbischofsheim and Stollhofen; and up to the 20th century particularly by the communities of Ettlingen, Gernsbach, Hörden and Malsch.
- A mortuary, built in 1889 was destroyed in 1938. There is also a record of this cemetery having been repeatedly desecrated in November 1897, when several gravestones were toppled and damaged. Although a reward was offered to bring the culprits to justice, those responsible were not caught.
- The cemetery contains a memorial plaque in honour of the Jewish Dead of WW1.
SOURCES: University of Heidelberg
and Alemannia Judaica
(Translated from German June 2008)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.