KÜLSHEIM, Kuelsheim (Külsheim, Eiersheim, Hundheim, Steinbach, Steinfurt, Uissigheim.) also used by Gissigheim Königheim, Tauberbischofsheim , Hochhausen , Hardheim, Print

Coat of arms of Külsheim KÜLSHEIM, (Kuelsheim): 49°40' N, 09°31' E, 21 miles WSW of Würzburg,12 km NW of Tauberbischofsheim, and 10 km S of Wertheim am Main in Main-Tauber-Kreis, NE Baden-Württemberg including the following formerly independent communities: Külsheim, Eiersheim, Hundheim, Steinbach, Steinfurt, Uissigheim. Jewish population: 196 (in 1871), 106 (in 1910). Until September 2006, this was an army garrison town and named Beinamen Brunnenstadt because of the many fountains in the city. The three-bowl fountain, situated in the center, is the coat of arms of Kulsheim.

  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 687: "Kuelsheim".
  • Pinkas HaKehilot, Germany, Vol. 2 (1986), p. 473: "Külsheim"
  • JewishGen GerSIG
  • Wikipedia

 

JEWISH CEMETERY:

Jewish cemetery history and photos. East of the city in Külsheim, the Jewish cemetery (on the road to Steinbach / corner Eckweg, Parcel 13034, area 59.77 ha) dates from at least around 1600. In the 17th to 19th century, it served as a cemetery association for numerous Jewish communities of Gissigheim KönigheimTauberbischofsheimHochhausenHardheim, and others). By 1875 these communities had to get their own cemeteries since the Külsheimer cemetery ran out of space. map and photos.  [Mar 2013]

97900 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Main-Tauber-Kreis.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Near junction Steinbacher Weg and Hans-Weisbach-Straße.(Detail).
IN USE: Probably from around the mid-17th century until 1938.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 921. Oldest identifiable gravestone dated 1695. (John 1992, page 145).
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1985 photographs of all gravestones with cemetery layout by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1999/200 cemetery documentation including above photographs by the Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed. Michael Thon).
  • Numerous photographs of individual gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • Existing literature offers various dates for the existence of this cemetery. The first reference to this burial ground stems from 1658. Statements that the cemetery existed already in 1600 and possibly as early as during the Middle Ages remain unsupported (Hahn 1988, page 346).
  • The Külsheim cemetery, surrounded by a fence and an iron gate, also served the associated Jewish communities of Gissigheim, Königheim, Tauberbischofsheim, Hochhausen and Hardheim. From 1875 onwards burials in this cemetery became restricted to the Külsheim community in view of lack of space. This meant that the other communities in the area were obliged to acquire their own local burial grounds.
  • Some information on the cemetery can be obtained from the Landesdenkmalamt of Baden-Württemberg (in Stuttgart), and help in accessing the cemetery can be provided by the local genealogist in Hardheim, Gerhard Wanitschek (Mozartstrasse 23, D-74736 Hardheim, Germany; tel: 011-49-6283-6646; fax: 011-49-6283-21101). A key to open the cemetery gate is available from the Town Hall (Rathaus) in Külsheim. Source: Arthur Obermayer; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

(Translated from German May 2008)

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 March 2013 18:33